Saturday, November 27, 2010

Making things look better! RIBBONS!

Last week, I got myself a Toshiba netbook. It came with a netbook case, but I didn't quite like it. Since I've spent quite a lot of $$$ this month, I've decided not to buy a new case, and just use some creativity to "decorate" the one I'm having. So here goes (:


I started off with this netbook case, I seriously dislike the orange striking words, in other terms, I don't like to see the brand so "glaringly" printed on the casing! (heehee)

Materials needed:
1. 45cm 2-inch black ribbon (colour, length and thickness of ribbon depends on your preference too!)
2. 3cm 1-inch black ribbon
3. UHU glue or any glue that can dry quickly
4. Black thread and needle

Steps to making a bow:
1. Align the 2-inch ribbon into layers and ensure both ends of the ribbons are on the middle (so that the ends of the ribbons will not be exposed later)
2. Use the black thread and sew running stitches on the middle, by doing so, gathers are created when the string is tightened. Tie knots to secure the gathers (ensure that the running stitches are equally apart)
3. Use the 1-inch ribbon and "wrap" around the thread part of the ribbon. Ensure that the thread in the middle and the ends of the ribbons are covered.
4. Squeeze a small amount of UHU glue in the middle area of the bow and glue the ends of the 1-inch ribbons at the back. And a ribbon/ bow is done! (:

Tips (Heat sealing):
For all the ends of the ribbon, I heat sealed it so that it will not fray when you are making the bow. The picture at the top: LHS; heat sealed ribbon, RHS; ribbon before heat sealing, it frays and it is irritating as the work will become messy! To heat seal: Just use a lighter and slightly heat the edges so that the ribbon "melts" a little and will not fray.

My end product! (: I sew it onto the laptop case with few stitches which are "hidden" behind the bow (: Sometimes things can be made to look better, it just depends on how creative you can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment